Showcasing the Cooperative Difference at Regional Meetings
Published On: August 08, 2018
Touchstone Energy understands the Cooperative Difference and demonstrates it in how we treat our members, how we collaborate and how we build our communities, and this fall we are highlighting all three characteristics at the NRECA Regional Meetings.
“Its Touchstone Energy’s 20th anniversary, and we are celebrating by giving back with a service opportunity at each regional meeting. We are leveraging the power of human connections in our partnerships with the host statewide organizations and their community partners to bring volunteers together to support five unique projects that will leave a positive impact on the communities we visit,” said Lynn Moore, Touchstone Energy’s executive director.
All regional meeting attendees and their guests are welcome to attend this “come-and-go” service project located near the NRECA Regional Meeting registration area in the conference hotel.
The activities and organizations differ based on local needs. Once you stop by the Touchstone Energy engagement station, your commitment to community will begin:
- Region 1 & 4 | In partnership with Ohio’s Electric Cooperatives
- Community Service Project: We will be writing letters, making paracord “survival” bracelets and preparing snack packs to benefit Operation Gratitude, an organization on a mission to thank every American who serves in the military or as a first responder, and the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio.
- Timing: September 5 from noon to 4 p.m. or until all projects are completed
- Region 5 & 6 | In partnership with Minnesota REA
- Community Service Project: We will be creating birthday bags to be distributed to local children living in poverty through Cheerful Givers.
- Timing: September 17 from noon to 4 p.m. or until all projects are completed
- Region 7 & 9 | In partnership with Alaska Power Association
- Community Service Project: We will assemble reflective safety kits that will help illuminate the dark journeys to and from school for thousands of Anchorage elementary and middle-schoolers. The United Way of Anchorage will then distribute the reflective safety kits to local schools within its Community PLUS Schools program.
- Timing: September 25 from noon to 4 p.m. or until all projects are completed
- Region 2 & 3 | In partnership with Georgia EMC
- Community Service Project: We will be creating much-needed hygiene care packages to aid Operation Veteran Smiles, an organization founded by a former Youth Tour participant with a mission to bring smiles to ill and injured veterans.
- Timing: October 10 from noon to 4 p.m. or until all projects are completed
- Region 8 & 10 | In partnership with Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives
- Community Service Project: We will be preparing packages with hygiene supplies, stickers and stuffed animals for homeless and disadvantaged children to support United Way of Central Oklahoma in their annual Stockings of Joy effort.
- Timing: October 16 from noon to 4 p.m. or until all projects are completed
We know our cooperatives’ volunteer spirit will be visible at each and every event. Come for 30 minutes or stay for the entire service project, but please plan to join us, follow the activity on social media using #CoopsServe and make a positive impact in our host community during your regional meeting.