Nobody makes electrical safety more of a priority than those who rely upon it every single day. Which is why there’s no better way to ensure you can use electricity safely in your home than by learning about our lineman approved electrical safety tips.
Overloaded power strips and outlets greatly increase the possibility of an electrical fire.
Downed power lines are extremely dangerous and are not insulated like power cords. Never, ever touch or even go near a downed power line.
Cords that are frayed, damaged or missing a prong pose fire hazards and a risk of electric shock. Always replace and never repair damaged cords.
You should never staple or nail a power cord to the wall. Doing so presents many risks like electric shock and damaging the cord, creating a fire risk.
Although the heavy green housing is there to ward off interference, pad-mounted transformers are never considered safe to play on or around.
Water is incredibly dangerous around any form of electricity. Also, electrical power is present even when the appliance is off, which is all the more reason to keep all electrical appliances away from water at all times.
Installing safety caps on all unused outlets is a cheap and easy way to greatly reduce the chances of anyone (mainly children) getting shocked.
You should never run cords under carpets or rugs, as they can overheat and cause a fire risk. Also, never run cords through doorways and open spaces as this poses a tripping hazard as well.
Always pull a cord out by the plug as this will ensure the cord will not break and pose and electrocution risk.
You should always keep clear of power lines when working and playing outside. Power lines are live, non-insulated wires which pose very serious electrocution risk during outdoor activities such as using ladders, cutting down trees or even flying kites.
Congratulations! You now know 10 of the most important tips to keep you and your family using electricity safely.